Sunday, December 30, 2007

Letter to Family #3 - September 20, 2007

9/20/07
Hey guys! How is everyone doing? How's the weather in Houston? Hot and humid, I'm sure. Are y'all still getting a bunch of rain? The rainy season here is beginning to come to a close, which means hot weather. For the past week or so, it has been terribly hot during the day. It isn't until the early morning that it begins to cool down. October is nicknamed "mini hot season," since the rains have stopped but the cool weather has not arrived. Hopefully, when I get back to my village in a week and a half, the villagers will have put up a fence around my concession and built my covered porch/patio area to give me a little shade. I can't believe training is all but done and we swear in this Tuesday (9/25/07)! This Sunday we have a barbeque in Niamey and hamburgers are on the menu! It's been a long time since I've eaten a beef pattie so I'm really excited. On the 27th, we have the "Gender and Development" auction, where volunteers and outside vendors auction off stuff to us. I'm hoping to bid on a few items that might come in handy at post - a solar charger, drum, maybe a horse... We'll see. I finally received the first package and letter #2. Thanks so much! I was munching on the trail mix after dinner last nightand it was great!
It's weird reading your letter about the movies you have seen lately since I'm clueless about what's going on in the U.S. I did hear that they're making a movie based on the book "Into the Wild," about this guy who trekked into the Alaskan wilderness and was found dead months later. I just finished the book and really liked it. I think you would like the book, Dad; hopefully, the movie will be just as good!
I like my host family just fine - they are fun to joke with and laid back. But it's a little tough to spend time with them, especially the kids, after a long day of training. I'm definitely ready to have my own hut and space so I can have some down time to myself.
"Riduan" is my Nigerien name, given to me by my host family. It doesn't mean anything - just a popular Nigerien name. For post, I changed my name to "Zatara," which is what I'll go by for the next two years. It was the name given to the Count of Montecristo and means "driftwood" in the movie.
Have you all seen Brazil or his buddy riding arund in the Mustang? I miss that car!
How's the new job going, Mike? Making them big bucks? Any word on that opportunity with Shell Oil?
Nickie - Is the carwash job still going well? Have you been promoted to tire scrubber or did you quit to be a taco maker at Taco Bell? If so, send me a couple of gorditas and a cold Mountain Dew...
For the past two weeks or so, I haven't shaved so I'm beginning to look pretty scruffy. I'll get clean shaven before the swearing-in ceremony. I just bought a traditional Nigerien outfit that I'm going to wear so I'm sure I'll look swell!
My hair is getting a little shaggy - Maybe by February, it will be long enough to dread. I'm thinking of traveling to Ghana in February to watch the "Africa Nations Cup" - a soccer tournament that will be held in Accra, the capital. Maybe I'll get dreads while there... Also, I'm planning to travel east for Christmas because they have a big PCV gathering there every year for the Holidays.
Next month will be especially difficult. I'll be the only American in my village and my closest PCV neighbor will be 40 km away. My command of the language is not great, so that will be another challenge. I'll just have to adjust and I know I'll be fine. It will just be much different than these past two months. I'm ready, though, to get there and begin my actual service. We have had two people early terminate from our original 42. So I'll swear-in with another 40, a pretty awesome number, I think!
How's Alabama football going? I never thought I'd say it but those home games at BAMA are one of the biggest things I miss. Someone told me that Auburn recently lost, so I got a kick out of that. Hopefully, we can finally get a win against them this year - Too bad I won't be there to see it!
Last night we had a "fete" (party/celebration) with our host family as thanks fo rtheir hospitality. The Peace Corps provided cake, popcorn, Cokes, and meat - Yes, meat!!! I gave my host family the gifts I brought for them - a calendar, cologne, candy and some jewelry - and they were most appreciative.
After swearing-in, we'll be taking trips to Niamey to get some necessities for our site - furniture, cooking/cleaning supplies, etc. Hopefully, I can make my little hut nice, since I'll be living in it for two years. I plan to get a small table or two, a couple of trunks, hopefully a book shelf, and a few chairs. Other than shopping, we'll have a few days to just relax and play sports since training will be over. I'm definitely looking forward to that! I'm excited about settling down at my post so I can arrange things and not live out of a suitcase. I can also take the time to figure out my new camera, which I haven't done yet, even though I have taken over 400 pictures!
Well, that's all for now. Everything in Niger is just fine and my spirits are high, so you guys have nothing to worry about. Keep in touch and continue to write letters/send packages! I love you guys and miss you all dearly!
Love,
James aka Zatara

No comments: