Sunday, December 30, 2007

Email - November 20, 2007

November 20, 2007
Family and Friends-

Back in civilization for a few days and I'm enjoying it! These past couple of weeks have been great at post, though. My language is really coming along.

I traveled down to Gaya last week to visit a buddy of mine and check out "city life" for a couple of days. We did our first radio show on Gaya Radio and spoke about our jobs as PC Volunteers- in Zarma, the local language, of course. We stumbled our way through but had a great time. We even played some American music on the air, including Bob Marley and Tupac. I waited at the bush taxi station for 3 1/2 hours for the battered van to get enough people packed in to head back to my village. I got the front middle seat so I didn't have any complaints. There were enough crazy vendors and action happening at the station to keep me from being bored while I waited. I got dropped off where the main road meets my laterite road and then made the 4 km bush walk to my village with my big bag on my head. I was pretty beat when I got home but was glad to get there.
I got my garden started and it's doing well- lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, and onions. I think I have it well guarded from the lizards, frogs and chickens that are always in and around my place so I just have to worry about bugs now.
I have a clever mouse living in my hut now that I have tried unsuccessfully to kill. Three other villagers and I were in my hut with sticks swatting at it when we found it's hiding spot but the darn thing got away. He has successfully eaten into my flour, gatorade packs, summer sausage, couscous, and pears, and also ate the only cabbage seeds that I had. As they say in Niger, 'kala suuru', have patience.
The Thanksgiving 'feast' should be a step up from village food but it won't be anything compared to being home with the family. At least I'll be able to spend it with friends. We have purchased a live turkey from someone in Dosso and are going to slow roast it on a spit over coals. We're going to pay a kid to stay with it and rotate the turkey the entire day. I'm making banana bread, pumpkin bread, and some sort of pie with whatever I can find at the market today...should be interesting.
We have Inservice Training in a couple weeks so I'll be heading back for 2 weeks. I'm excited about learning more about my work and funding, but even more excited about seeing all of my friends from other regions that I haven't seen in 2 months! It should be a fun reunion. For now my plans are to travel out east for Christmas but that's not set in stone. A 10-hour bus ride on a Nigerien bus line on Nigerien roads sounds a little intimidating but I'm sure it will be worth it.
I guess that's about all that's going on right now. Peace Corps is paying for my villagers to put a window in my hut and have the interior walls cemented (they are mud brick now) and I am so excited about that. It will be quite a step up for the bush life! All is well here; I'm in good health and great spirits!
I hope all is well back home. Keep me informed and keep sending letters when you all have time. Also, if you reply to my other e-mail address, also reply to this one because I can check this one more frequently. Don't forget to put my name under the subject line or I won't get it.
Write back soon if you can since I'll be here until Friday morning. Love you guys, take care.
Love,

James

No comments: