Sunday, September 30, 2007

Letter #3


8/26/07

Family and Friends -

Today was the first time that I felt like a true American...I went to the American recreation center inside the American embassy. A few other PCTs and I took a bus into town and then hopped on a taxi to the rec center. We paid about $2 to enter but it was well worth it! It began to rain so we went inside, watched some satellite TV (in English!) and ordered some American food!!! I had Nachos Grande with ground beef (I think), cheese, sour cream, lettuce, and pico de gallo! It was so good - it tasted like home! The sun came out after a bit and we got to go swimming at the pool on the compound. It's hard to explain how great it was to swim and relax for a few hours!

This is the first time I have felt clean since I got here. My feet are actually not stained reddish-brown for once! I guess it's the small things that count! I got to work on getting rid of my T-shirt tan also, which was nice. After the pool, we caught a taxi back to the bureau and hung out with some PCVs. I was able to use the computer there which was much faster than dialup. We were able to take the magic bus back with the language trainers, which saved us some money. (The magic bus is the air conditioned PC bus that we use for traveling.)

This past Thursday we went on our "tech trip" to a few other villages to learn about the different levels of health care facilities in country. It was quite depressing, to tell you the truth - both the facilities and the sick people. The facilities were understaffed, unsanitary, and did not have any equipment to handle major operations or anything complicated. At one clinic they have a program where they keep malnourished children and try to help them gain weight and supply them with proper food and nutrients. I think that was the most depressing of all - seeing kids who were severely malnourished, where you could see their bones and the skin hanging from their bodies. One PCV was working with the children and she inspired me to do some work with malnourishment once I get to post. This field trip was more than a reality check for me because I realized the type of setting that I may be collaborating with. I thought about my future at post a lot and how emotionally draining it will be to constantly see people who are ill. On the other hand, I think it will be that much more rewarding once my service is over.

So if all that wasn't bad enough, I started getting sick on Friday night and was sick all day Saturday. I felt HORRIBLE. I went to another town to see the doc (I think I had/have some bacteria) and he gave me some awesome medicine which just about cured me overnight. So I'm about 90% well. In another couple of days, I'll be back on the soccer field.

Exciting news - this Friday we get our site announcements! I am a little nervous but excited more than anything.

Another cool thing about Niger that I love is the kindness and sincerity of the locals. Last night I was walking home by myself around 9:00 p.m. and stopped by a food vendor to see what was being cooked. A guy about my age asked me to sit and chat with him. I declined becuase it was late but I think I'll go there this afternoon and have tea with him and his friends (it's a popular custom in Niger, comparable to having a beer with a buddy). Two other guys stopped me and asked me how I was doing and how business was and then just said goodbye. These interactions are great for language training and goes to show how people are concerned about others, even "anasaras" (foreigners) like me.

Well, that's about all I have for now. When I get to a phone, I'll try my best to get a hold of you, but until then, you guys take care! I love you all! Love, James

P.S. Nickie-Happy, happy birthday! It is a great year so enjoy it to the fullest! I hope you got the post card that I sent you. When I get to a mailbox, I'll send you something special from Niger (let me know if you'd rather have a donkey, a camel or a monkey and I'll see what I can work out.) I know it's your senior year and I'm so excited about it - you should be too! Have fun and be safe - don't try to grow up too quickly! I love you!

Mike--How's the job search going? Any openings in West Africa? That would be great! I hope everything is going great for you in Houston and you are enjoying yourself before you start a big job. Let me know what you're up to back home. Take it easy, Bro, I miss you!

Keep in touch, guys! Love you!

No comments: