Sunday, September 30, 2007

Email #2

9/4/07

Mom,

Just wanted to write you quickly about a few things. Please pass this e-mail along to everyone. I just recently got my site anouncement and I am super excited! My village is in the southwestern corner of the country. It is the greenest, most fertile region of the country and I heard it is beautiful out there. This sunday I will go to my town and live there for a week to check it out and get a feel for everything. I am 4 km off of the main road and 11 km from my market which is once a week. I will be living in a traditional zarma mud brick hut but that's about all I know about my actual compound.

The town has about 1500 people divided into 5 hamlets. My town does not have a health hut, but my market town does. I will probably be doing a lot of cross-sector work, meaning that I will incorporate agriculture into my work because of the fertile environment. I also have a new mailing address so in about a week or so you can start sending mail to that address (especially packages). There's no need to send things in original packaging, just however it will fit the best (zip loc bags, etc).

Make sure you send everything air mail or I won't get it. I still haven't received anything since the last letter. Also, I plan to buy a cell phone soon so as soon as I do, I will get you guys the number so you can call. Please keep a calling card with you since it will be hard for me to know exactly when we can talk. I will try and get a hold of you guys on or before Sunday, probably in the early morning. Take care, love you lots!

Love,
James

No comments: