Saturday, April 5, 2008

Adventures in Niger

Just wanted to let you all know about my latest adventures in Niger. A couple of weeks ago I went to visit a villager in the bush. We took an hour bush walk to this village near the river which is known for its bird sanctuary. The birds migrate during the dry season looking for water in the seasonal lakes beside the Niger River. We were able to take a pirogue (dug out canoe) ride at sunset on one of the lakes and saw thousands of birds on the water. After getting near them, the entire flock took off in what seemed like a cloud, it was incredible!

Last week I went to see another volunteer at her village which is on the bank of the Niger River. In the evening we took a pirogue ride on the river and went on foot into the national park with one of the guides. Elephants! We turned a corner and saw five elephants grazing on the other side of a canal. After watching them for a bit, we headed further into the bush on a path beside one of the canals searching for another heard of elephants. After about a twenty minute walk, we spotted some elephant dung, kept walking and found a herd of eighteen elephants on the opposite bank of the canal! They were amazing to watch. One of the best things about it was the fact that we were able to see them grazing in their natural environment. We were only about twenty feet away from the herd and they were not at all worried by our presence. We sat on the edge of the river and watched them for some time, grazing at the water's edge and reaching up with their trunks to reach the foliage in the trees. At sunset we left the elephants and rode around a bit more on the river before heading back to the village. It was an unforgettable day in Niger. Hopefully next time I will be able to spend longer in the bush and see a variety of animals- there are supposed to be baboons and a wide variety of birds. A few people have also come across lion dung so we'll see how it goes. All is well in Niger and hot season is here. Much love, Jah Bless

4 comments:

Bill Abel said...

Hey. What's the name of your village?
I was in Boumba, just north of Gaya in 1994-95. I live in Homewood, AL.
I never saw any elephants, but did see a lion print in a village from a lion on the prowl the night before. Saw hippos, a crocodile, and some monkeys, and I saw the giraffes at Koure. We painted the Koure team's truck with a giraffe pattern - I guess by now there are probably new trucks.

Harmony said...

Hi James,

I'm a future PCV nominated for service in Africa. I've been lurking on your post; I'm drawn to your wonderful photographs! I was wondering... would you mind if I used your B&W picture of the elephants as a header on my own Peace Corps blog? I'd credit you, of course. Just let me know :-)

James Mas said...

Bill,
my village is Sanago Kwara, about 40km north of Gaya. There is a volunteer in Boumba now and I just recently visited her. We went into Park W to see the elephants. She said there are hippos and monkeys as well, not sure about crocs though. Send me your email, I would like to hear about your service and get you in contact with the current Boumba volunteer.

James Mas said...

Harmony,
yeah, i don't see a problem with that, feel free to use the pic. Have you found out any more info on your assignment? Keep in touch