Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Community Health Agent

Sannu!

I just received the packet detailing what my actual assignment will be once I get to Niger. My official title is "Community Health Agent". The Peace Corps Niger's health mission includes: "Improving maternal and infant health, improving the nutritional status of households, and improving the community's ability to prevent and treat illnesses." Wow! Sounds like I will have my work cut out for me!

Some examples of the kind of work I will be doing at my post include:
  • Giving presentations on health and hygiene to local clinics and schools
  • Training villagers on how to keep their well more sanitary
  • Assisting with Polio vaccination campaigns
  • Doing a weekly radio show promoting healthy lifestyles
  • Talking to women about HIV/AIDS
By the time my three-month training is over, I will HOPEFULLY be prepared to accomplish all the tasks at hand and help Nigeriens live a healthier life. Staging will be here before I know it...only 3 weeks from today and I am so excited! Until next time...

Sai anjima!

No comments: